Saturday, January 15, 2011

My mother The Oral Historian

Myself in the Green and my mother Ruby Lee Cameron-Coleman seated on the end to the right, and
 family members at the funeral of my brother Edward Coleman in 2002 Seattle, Washington

In African American culture, oral history has served a crucial role in preserving a heritage that has often been threatened with oblivion. African-American Research is extremely difficult because of the lack of historical records before the Civil War.
In 1936-1938 the United States government conducted a oral history account of slavery by interviewing of thousands of former slaves throughout the south.
Oral history showcases personal stories and reflections on family history and experiences and is much used in African American families..

My mother Ruby Lee Cameron-Coleman born in 1927, is our oral family historian. Her memory is still sound. While growing up she would listen to stories her father; my maternal grandfather Bryant Cameron born in Amite county Mississippi in 1895, would tell about his family. Bryant’s father Alec Cameron was born into slavery in 1862 and was 3 years old when slavery ended. My grandfather would tell stories and my mother would sit at his feet and take in ever word.
When my mother married my father Ed Coleman in 1948, my paternal grandfather Henry Coleman born in Franklin county Mississippi 1905 would feed her interest in oral family history, which has helped in my search for Coleman’s ancestors.  When I started researching, my mother provided the majority of the information I needed to begin my research.Thanks to my mother, I have inherited this passion for family history and love of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment